Tuesday, March 5, 2013

TOP THREE EXERCISE TIPS

Tackling the exercise portion of getting healthy is next on the list.  Here are a few helpful tips that work for me.

1- PLANNING.  There are many subcategories that go into planning.

  • Create a special workout calendar.  I have a google workout calendar that I am always tinkering with.  This way you can keep up with your busy life and find those slots where you can get your workouts in.  If you have a smart phone, you can easily link your calendar to your phone to keep you on task.  Below is a picture of just my own calendar from my phone view and computer view.  



  • Plan your rest days as well as your workout days.  Rest days are important for your body to recover.  If you notice, my rest day falls on a Wednesday.  You may even schedule two to three rest days per week.  I personally wouldn't have more than one or two if your goal is to lose weight.
  • Plan each evening for the next day.  If I know I'll have two workouts, I'll pack clothes for both as well as breakfast, lunch, and snacks.  If you plan for the day, it's easier to stick to it.  Snacks are especially important to plan, because if you let yourself get too hungry, you'll typically overeat at the next meal.
  • Think of your calendar as a puzzle piece.  Things come up, that's how life is.  Be able to adapt and move the workout pieces around.  Don't throw your hands up in the air and give up.  There's always a time for your workout, sometimes it does take a little sacrifice.
2- CARDIO.  No matter what your goal is, cardio is the answer.  Weight loss, toning, overall health, you name it.  Don't get discouraged if you don't have the fitness to go long periods of time at a high intensity level.  It's okay to start with a walk/run interval program, in fact it's preferred to reduce the risk of injury.  If you are coming from a sedentary lifestyle, shoot for 20-30 minutes of cardio per day.  Each week, increase the time or the intensity time to keep challenging yourself.  Running is the best method to shed those pounds, so if you are able to take the impact, that's what I recommend.  Otherwise, biking, the elliptical, and a stepper are also great sources of cardio.

Once you get a base down, you can mix up your cardio workouts.  If you notice on my calendar, it  says "SPILLS."  That is a combination of an incline and a speed workout.  I'll do one minute of intervals of each, with a two minute slower recovery interval in between each incline and speed interval.  I have speed days, where I work on my speed, long run days, where I go for distance, 400 meter repeats, easy recovery runs, fartlek runs, where I add sprints into my distance, "OMS," which is Old Main Stairs.  I love running stairs!  

3- CORE.  Your core is the most important aspect to strengthen when you first start out.  This provides you the stability you need in everything you do.  Your core consists of not only your abs, but your back, hamstrings, and hip musculature.  Hip strengthening also reduces knee pain.  A strong core provides better balance and stability, and ultimately leads to better endurance.  Your body learns to be more efficient with a strong core.

Some great core exercises... planks, side planks, bridges, hamstring curls on a stability ball, any type of ab workout, supermans, back extensions... the list goes on.  Also, anything done on an unstable surface, such as a BOSU or stability ball works your core extra hard.

I hope this information helps.  I am here for anyone who would like some advice.  

No comments:

Post a Comment