Monday, March 4, 2013

TOP THREE DIET TIPS

Hey Challengers!

I hope day one has been a good one.  If you haven't given me your starting weight, I need that asap!

I'd like to offer a few diet tips that have helped me over the years.

1- HYDRATE!  Make sure you try and get 64 ounces of water.  Always have a water bottle close by.  Yes you'll have to go to the bathroom every 5 minutes, but you'll get used to it.  If water gets old, get some Crystal Light packets, or propel to give it a little bit of flavor.  Also, hunger is often mistaken for dehydration.  So ask yourself... "Am I hungry?  Or am I really just thirsty?"

2- FRUITS & VEGGIES!  They say to eat 5 servings of fruits and vegetables a day, but I actually read once to shoot for 10.  I figure if you can find a happy medium between the two numbers, you're golden.  One serving is usually 1/2 cup, and you want to vary the colors.  Apples are supposed to be filling, grapefruit is said to stave off hunger, bananas and cantaloupe are a good source of potassium, grapes are great and easy to snack on.  I also like to add various fruits to my salads (with fat free Italian dressing).

3- PROTEIN!  Protein is crucial for muscle repair and rebuild.  I try to get protein in with each meal.  Great sources of protein are cottage cheese (goes well with any fruit and baked potatoes), greek yogurt, lean chicken, lean ground turkey, eggs, beef jerkey (for a snack, but watch the sodium), almonds, protein shakes. After a hard workout, I drink a good 6 ounces of Odwalla Protein Monster, which is pretty much chocolate milk with a little extra protein.

I hope these tips help.  Feel free to ask questions!

No comments:

Post a Comment